Since the last post I have:
– Replaced old bashguard with new BBG
– Replaced crankset with Shimano FC-M361 165mm crank
– Replaced front 3x gears with 1x 32 tooth N/W (Blackspire Snaggletooth)
– Removed front derailleur and added an N-Gear Jump Stop
– New chain
– Lezyne air pump
– Green Guru Saddle Bag and Frame bag
– Removed reflectors, added reflective tape for visibility
I’ve been riding my new 1×8 setup for a few months now and I have to say, I’m sold. I really love the simplicity and don’t feel like I’m really missing out on anything. With my shorter 165mm crank arms, I don’t really spin out until above 25mph, which is more than plenty on a trail bike. I would like some lower gearing, and I plan on replacing my 11-30 cassette for an 11-34. I can definitely see where an 11-40 10spd or 11spd would come in handy, but I think I can make plenty of action happen on the old 8.
I’ve even been adding some trail around the homestead, that has been really fun and the kids enjoy it too! I do need to get over to the Wilder Hill Trails here in town as well as the Freedom Trails behind MSLC in Skowhegan.